Monday, April 26, 2010

On gratitude, widebodies, and my new buddy Archie

Airport: OAK
Location: San Leandro Marina
Time: 0830-0930
Registrations collected: 15
For a total of: 272
Airlines: 6

A beautiful morning! I went to OAK to see the Hawaiian 763 that leaves every morning at 8:40, but ended up staying for quite some time and watching a number of the morning rush jets move in and out. I broke my Oakland records (15 registrations and 6 airlines), saw another wide body on 29, and added Hawaiian to my growing list of airlines spotted. Not bad. Oh, and I also met a new "friend," Archie. Archie parked his motorcycle a few spots down from my car (never mind the fact that there were hundreds of empty spots in the lot) and immediately struck up a conversation, asking about my car, giving the details of his motorcycle engine, asking me what a 737 was - and then it started getting weird...

"Sophia what's the name of that propeller plane, the kind that takes you from places like Cheyenne to places like Oklahoma City?" "It was Southwest, I'm positive." "You don't know?"

"Sophia do you smoke pot or drink or anything?" "Nothing?" "Not even a little?"

"You know, Sophia, when I got picked up in San Jose last year, the jail's exercise yard was on the 8th floor roof and we could watch all the planes at the airport down there." "You ever been down there Sophia?" "Oh I bet you'd'a liked that roof."

Aside from Archie, I had a very peaceful morning. I still don't understand what it is, but everything just feels right with the world when I'm at the airport. All the chaos and unmanageability fades to the back and I suddenly love my life more than I ever thought possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment