Saturday, January 30, 2010

Binocular test drive

January 30, 2010
1200

Airport: OAK
Location: San Leandro Marina; Oyster Bay Park, San Leandro
Equipment: My NEW Nikon Action Zoom XL 10-22x50
Registrations collected: 9
For a total of: 45
Airlines: 3
Makes: 5

Today was another one of those spontaneous outings. I knew it was a poor time to expect to catch a lot of planes, but I decided I couldn't wait any longer to go and try out the new binoculars I ordered. I knew they were going to be good when I recorded 2 registration numbers from Southwest planes at terminal 2, well over a mile away! With the zoom set between 12x and about 18x, I can track the planes really well and hold fairly steady; the shakiness seems to become problematic around 15x or 16x. At 25x magnification, I was able to track planes on the approach, but was too shaky to read at least half of the tail numbers. Oh well. A little practice with the zoom and focus levers and I'll give it another shot.

I was able to enjoy the sights of the traffic flying over after shooting off of the 1s at SFO. I could easily identify the airline, make, and model from the ground. The shaking that accompanies the 25x setting for "close" viewing wasn't an issue here. A few 737s 757s, 767s, and A320s - nothing too exciting since the 1s are the shorter of the pairs of runways, but at least it added a little variety to the good ol' Southwest 737 traffic at OAK.

Lowlights:

The fact that it was a Saturday, meaning the marina was overrun by fishermen (Eating fish from the Bay? Really?) and the park overrun by dogs who like to bark and lick and fight and jump right at the wrong moments.

Leaving my REI fingerless gloves somewhere in the park. I don't know where but I'm sure they've become puppy chow by now.

Highlights:

Realizing that in addition to downtown Oakland being the backdrop for SFO spotting, downtown San Francisco is the backdrop for OAK spotting. Quite a nice thing to enjoy during the lulls.

A FedEx 727-2S2F. Always loved the 727s.

My new binoculars being AMAZING. Did I mention they're SO COOL? They really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment