Monday, June 7, 2010

Over 500 in 2010!

June 6, 2010

Airport: SFO
Time: 0830
Location: Bayfront Park, Milbrae/Burlingame
Registrations collected: 75
For a total of: 518

After getting back from LAX, I had to have another surgery, which has prevented me from spotting. I'm still on the antibiotic and technically not allowed to be in the sun, but on my last day of vacation before a 7 week summer class, I decided to head to SFO anyway. I got up at 6:30 to check ATIS and it was already visibility 10 and temperature 17. That never happens! So off I went...

I'm not sure if this is typical for an early morning, but the 1s were not in use for departures like usual. At one point, there were 13 planes in line for departure on the 28s! I've never seen that before. I saw a heavy NCA 747 arrive and depart on quick turnaround and logged my first baby bus (which is an A318 and oh so cute!). Other than that, it wasn't too eventful of an outing. I saw the arrival of the Asian red-eyes, which are part of the round of jumbos that I normally watch depart around 11 or 12. This included a Korean 747 instead of their usual 777. I also hear that KLM now serves SFO using a 777 instead of the MD-11 (too bad!), but I missed that arrival.

Oh, and I did get laughed at twice. As in the blatant "haha she's taking notes!" kind of laughter. Another woman called me weird. True statement, but rude nonetheless.

I must say... I am feeling very over United right now and excited for 2011 when we will hopefully start to see the effects of the merger. I am so uninspired by all variations of United livery, so I was so excited to see the planned "Continited" livery (shown here on the new 787, presumably on the recently announced, genius route - Aukland/Houston). Continental's not my favorite livery either (except for the retro Blue Skyway), but at least looks classy and clean. I'm also a big fan of serifs and like the wider spacing of the letters. I don't understand why the merged airline will keep United's name instead of Continental's since at this point Continental's reputation seems so superior, but I guess it doesn't much matter.

3 comments:

  1. Think you're tired of United? Try sitting at DFW and watching an endless line of AA MD-80's or ERJ-140's take off. When the one KLM or Lufthansa aircraft of the day shows up, your heart leaps with joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like my home airport OAK and WN. I'm not a fan of AA either - can't read registrations on such a shiny plane. I do love the sound of those old MD-82s on departure though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can get variety in the Dallas area by first visiting DFW for a diet of AA and then making a 12 mile drive to Love Field for a dessert of WN.

    ReplyDelete