Monday, March 29, 2010

Just one more plane...

March 27, 2010
1200-1530

Airport: SFO
Location: Bayfront Park
Equipment: Nikon Action Zoom XL 10-22x50, as usual
Registrations collected: 65
For a total of: 251
Airlines: 25

I learned today that without an external force (time line, boyfriend, obligations back in the East Bay) it is extremely difficult for me to leave my set-up. I can play the "just one more" game for hours, apparently. I started getting sunburned around 1:30 and didn't leave until 3 when I decided to pose as an affluent, snobby out-of-towner to use the Marriott bathroom (with a muddy yellow Jansport on my back and binoculars around my neck, sporting a wind-blown ponytail and a well defined sunburn). Then, leaving the hotel, I saw the belly of a 747 directly overhead in livery that I didn't recognize off the bat, so I headed back to the rocks that run parallel to the 28 runways to wait. Turns out it was a British Airways 744 that was in pattern behind the Emirates non-stop arrival from Dubai and a Virgin Atlantic A340-600. Good choice to stay!

Lots of successes today - 3 one-of-a-kind liveries (Alaska's Tinkerbell, Continental's Blue Skyway anniversary paint job and the Apolo Ono Alaska 737, lei-sporting Eskimo and all). Back at home with the FAA registry, I noticed a few of Delta's Northwest acquisitions and Southwest's Ford Motor Company purchase - I'm still learning about how all that stuff works.

There were lots of people out, too, especially as compared to Sundays, when I am usually all alone. Two sets of dads and kids, a couple guys with scanners, and a man teaching his husband about the airlines on the rocks where I stopped to watch those final 3 arrivals. I have yet to see a woman out there on her own accord.

Highlights:
  • 13 international registrations - a record for me - including 4 new airlines (EVA, British Airways, Emirates, Virgin Atlantic).
  • A C-17 on its way to Travis AFB passing overhead.
  • All 5 of the male "experts" asking me questions about aircraft. I realize that I have a bit of an ego around this, but I'm going to own it for now. It's nice to be able to talk with nice folks about the sights and sounds, and a definite bonus to be respected for something that is important to me.
Here's a shot of N75436, the Blue Skyway Continental, just because I love the look - so classy!


No comments:

Post a Comment